NinjaManager Forums
Old 12-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #21
udon
Catpain
Admin

Seglar: Right now there's not much posting, but if you or someone else really wants to talk about a specific subject go ahead and create a topic, otherwise I'll do it later but not until I know more about the game :P

joseph: Thanks for offering help! Right now all I can think of is help with material/pictures for ninjas, areas and so on. And further along, help with balance and stuff like that. And finally some bug testing when stuff is getting near completion. Hopefully I can make it easy for ppl to help out!

shy: Interesting idea with FN Souls, I'll have to think about it a bit. But I think we want to encourage players to reset and play again. IMO the game gets a much more fun and has good replayability.

dragon: Ideally I'd want a custom made forum, but it takes a lot of time to code and all those small stuff that these premade forums have (moderation, pm, editing stuff everywhere etc).

saad: See the pictures I posted higher up. They are 180x200 px in full mode, and then I play on using downsized version down to 50% (90x100) on certain places and 25% (45x50) as well.

About the ideas with giving away gold to members etc, it's really hard to balance and mainly to prevent abuse (creating multiple accounts, transfering gold to main etc). So it would need many limits etc.

udon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #22
Yaana
The Spoon Commander

Well, as much as I love the idea, Naruto has in fact ended. Out of a perspective of server costs and such I believe it is better to make a version of something still running and with time left. My personal favourite for that would be One Piece as the author himself has said the series got about half left. On the other hand Naruto feels a bit more "rich" of diversity of characters. While a lot are introduced in OP you would have to make up quite a lot of powers since there is not many small battles as in Naruto.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:16 AM   #23
Renwit355

I want to suggest maybe making a game with the mechanics and gameplay of ninjamanager (of course, some changes are understandable), but with original/not someone else's characters. honestly, I don't recall what made me consider this possibility.
As for why and why not, doing so could give more freedom with character interactions+personality, storyline, game mechanics? (something like team combos?)... (i thought I had one more possibility, but I can't recall it now). One challenge of doing so would be making the various elements for the game from scratch (as opposed to incorporating already existing material into a game in a fitting manner).

I was typing something else (which end up making the following point) and said "only the game mechanics matters (at least to me), so the appearances of the elements don't affect the game experience outside of aesthetics". that being said, while the characters, abilities and others could be replaced with something of similar functionality, in the above mentioned view, the appearance could be anything as long as it makes sense and is decent aesthetically (otherwise, a game could be passed off as "unit #14 is Class D, has the attribute J of 88+2.4 per level..." which could be a game, just possibly not appealing to most players). so I guess I legitimized both options of changing or keeping the naruto theme, just mentioning Udon could change the game's theming to whatever.
Renwit355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #24
Yaana
The Spoon Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renwit355 View Post
I want to suggest maybe making a game with the mechanics and gameplay of ninjamanager (of course, some changes are understandable), but with original/not someone else's characters. honestly, I don't recall what made me consider this possibility.
As for why and why not, doing so could give more freedom with character interactions+personality, storyline, game mechanics? (something like team combos?)... (i thought I had one more possibility, but I can't recall it now). One challenge of doing so would be making the various elements for the game from scratch (as opposed to incorporating already existing material into a game in a fitting manner).

I was typing something else (which end up making the following point) and said "only the game mechanics matters (at least to me), so the appearances of the elements don't affect the game experience outside of aesthetics". that being said, while the characters, abilities and others could be replaced with something of similar functionality, in the above mentioned view, the appearance could be anything as long as it makes sense and is decent aesthetically (otherwise, a game could be passed off as "unit #14 is Class D, has the attribute J of 88+2.4 per level..." which could be a game, just possibly not appealing to most players). so I guess I legitimized both options of changing or keeping the naruto theme, just mentioning Udon could change the game's theming to whatever.
Nice idea, although I imagine the designing to be very troublesome because of original characters.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #25
MoonTiger
Flying duck of prejustice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renwit355 View Post

Well, I personally started playing this game especially because it was Naruto-based, so I could form the teams I always wanted. Not entirely sure if I'd start playing another version if it was done with OCs. Yet again, this is only my two cents :)
Old 12-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #26
udon
Catpain
Admin

I won't be making a large-scale game like this that hasn't already got a fanbase. I won't be able to stay motivated unless there are players, and it's growing. The competition is insane with free games as super high quality and advertising budget.

There's also the time issue... I won't be able to work nearly as much on this as when I created NM and other games. So eh, any help with cool pictures etc is much appreciated! I'm not sure how much interest there is now with card polls and such compared to a few years back when we had lots of polls for new cards.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #27
Yaana
The Spoon Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by udon View Post
I won't be making a large-scale game like this that hasn't already got a fanbase. I won't be able to stay motivated unless there are players, and it's growing. The competition is insane with free games as super high quality and advertising budget.

There's also the time issue... I won't be able to work nearly as much on this as when I created NM and other games. So eh, any help with cool pictures etc is much appreciated! I'm not sure how much interest there is now with card polls and such compared to a few years back when we had lots of polls for new cards.
Hence I mentioned OP. =)

I'm sure the interest in cards would grow with a Nm 2.0 because it would be different. Except for new cards every now and then I don't think much have changed in the current one and it feels a bit lacking. I have not even played for months.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #28
udon
Catpain
Admin

I'm not nearly as good with characters, story, lore and what not when it comes to One Piece as I'm with Naruto, and it feels like OP has different kind of character progress like you said. Naruto feels more simple with a lot of "good guys" introduced at the start while OP is more of an adventure centered around the main party.

At least I feel like it could be fun to just start from scratch in a new upgraded version, collecting stuff, creating weapons and progressing once again. Currently NM really lacks with its clonky interface which is something I wanna fix so I can easily play it on a tablet, or even a phone :)

Old 12-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #29
Carlimas
The People's Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by udon View Post
<...> Currently NM really lacks with its clonky interface which is something I wanna fix so I can easily play it on a tablet, or even a phone :)
Whatever you do with interface and/or, keep in mind, that simplicity is king.
Carlimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #30
XeroMaano
Vampire

I agree with Carli, a simple interface would be the best.
I would certainly enjoy a game similar to NM 100% playable from a tablet/other mobile devices. People nowadays would rather play manager-type games from mobile devices. I don't have many suggestions to make to this "NM 2.0", all I could say is that you look around the suggestions thread (but I think you've already done that.)

A more interactive clan system would certainly be great, though.
I don't know if I got it right, but I understand you're going to keep the "Card" layout, only that the image resizes depending on the action given to it? (In battle or some other thing). The Card Layout is iconic to NM so it should stay.

As for the popularity of the game, I don't see a problem. Naruto has just ended, sure, but so what? Gives people more reason to look for Naruto-related games to keep their time occupied with something related to Naruto.

Also, I strongly disagree on the suggestion of Original Characters in this. It just wouldn't fit.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:30 AM   #31
drag0nf0rce
Force Leader

Well alot of unique card games Do get popular. However Udons biggest success was with NM, so i think he should stick with what he knows. Of course an updated version would be brilliant. And the Naruto francise hasnt ended tbh. Kishimoto has said Naruto isnt done and i dont think it will end for a long time. Hell DBZ still is xD.

If he does go unique..... FORCE Manager confirmed.

Sometimes to see the light, you have to jump into the depths of darkness itself...
drag0nf0rce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #32
udon
Catpain
Admin

I'll try make it simple, but it still needs to be somewhat graphicy to actually make new visitors wanna give it a shot.

Some main issues with the design I'm currently looking into...

1) Change team, items fast. I'm thinking clicking Edit Team next to your current lineup (in header) loads and brings down a mini-myteam where you can change lineup and items. As well as a "switch between MainTeam/ItemHunter/SomethingElseMaybe". I think in the arena, the MainTeam will always get challenged, so you dont have to worry about having your ItemHunter team being destroyed by the (instant?) challenges sent.

2) Hover-over-teamname-for-tooltip with detailed enough info. So hovering team in arena and Recent results on the sidebar will show the team, but also with items so you get a better idea of their strength, and get to inspect some cool LWs.

New attributes
Anyone have any ideas about some more cool attributes that could be used? It gets kind of boring designing LWs and jutsus with only +Tai etc.

The "main" idea I had was introducing Genjutsu which acts kind of like a Mana bar for the entire team (since 1 single ninja often just dies in one turn anyways, except on boss fights). So ninjas have +gen and this adds to a global genjutsu mana bar in fights, which in turn is used to activate/proc special effects during fights. Strong effects have lower chance of activating (but can be increased with equipped items giving +chance) and also cost more genjutsu. So for example your team has 100 Genjutsu. At the start of the fight a ninjas procs his 10% chance of getting a 10% increased taijutsu, which in turn costs 70 genjutsu to activate. So the team has 30 genjutsu left and therefore this can be activated again during the fight.

Some ideas on new attributes/effects (The idea would ofc be to not use these in the beginning, but at later stages when the player knows all those tai, nin and other basic stuff);
  • on enter
    something activates when the ninja enters
  • on death
    something activates when the ninja is defeated
  • guard
    block a set amount of taijutsu
    for example; 100 GUARD: enemy attacks using 150 TAI, you block 100. next ninja attacks - you have no points left to block
  • absorb
    block a set amount of ninjutsu
  • pill
    boost something, lasts x turns

About social stuff
I'm gonna see how long it could take to write a simple-ish forum system for the site so we could easily use that, so it doesnt feel like two separate sites. The main issue is the moderating and admining stuff. I wouldnt be able to create nearly as detailed mod panels etc since it takes time and is boring as hell since no one really gets to see it anyway.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #33
udon
Catpain
Admin

Here are some bloodlines I mapped out;

Code:
    bloodlines
    ----------
    some ninjas/clans can learn certain bloodlines faster (hyuuga <> byakugan etc)
    can upgrade certain bloodlines -> to better versions, with different stats
    some bloodlines are element based, the ninja needs 1 of those elements to use it
    maybe: bloodlines have slightly scalable stats, level them up by fighting ninjas with same bloodline?
    craft bloodlines with material, some bloodlines (sharingan) requires sharingan-user to be sacrificed (example Sasuke lvl 10)?
        example; sharingan (+10 ninjutsu, +5% reroll) increases each level with (+1 ninjutsu, +0.5% reroll)
        soft caps pretty low (lv ~10?) so its easier to determine how strong a ninja is
    +++ = approx strength

- byakugan                        +++
        -> tenseigan                +++++

- sharingan                        +++
        -> mangekyo sharingan        ++++
            -> eternal mangekyo        +++++
            -> rinne sharingan        +++++
        different versions of each eternal/mangekyo with different stats?
        itachi, sasuke, madara-version etc, harder to lvl up when you upgrade (need to battle against similar version)

- rinnegan                        ++++
        -> rinne sharingan            +++++

- boil release                    +++
        fire/water

- crystal release                +
        earth
        strong against earth, water
        weak against lightn, fire, wind

- dark release                    ++
        movie filler

- dust release                    +++
        earth/wind/fire

- explosion release                ++
        deidara

- ice release                    ++
        wind/water
        strong against fire

- berserker                        +
        juugo bloodline, natural energy absorption
        <> cursed seal

- lava release                    ++
        fire/earth

- magnet release                ++
        wind/earth

- disruption                    +++
        filler, ranmaru
        block enemy bloodline somehow

- scorch release                +
        fire/wind
        weak against water

- shikotsumyaku                    ++++
        dead bone pulse, kimimaro

- steel release                    ++
        movie filler

- storm release                    ++
        lightn/water

- swift release                    +
        movie filler

- wood release                    ++++
        earth/water

Old 12-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #34
Yaana
The Spoon Commander

Well, tablet and smart-phone usability is a must for the new version to make it. Good thoughts. (Y)
Old 12-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #35
drag0nf0rce
Force Leader

What about rivalrys?

Like if naruto enters a battle with sasuke in. Both say something unique and lets say naruto gets 10% tai whilst sasuke gets 10% nin.

Sometimes to see the light, you have to jump into the depths of darkness itself...
Old 12-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #36
udon
Catpain
Admin

Hmm rivalries is a fun idea, I'll have to see if there are enough of them and if it actually makes a difference or is just a fun thing (or is in the way with all dialogues etc). Otherwise I guess combos will be good enough ;)

Old 12-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #37
anson
iHerd uLiek

While bloodline itself is a very exciting idea, I feel that the filler bloodlines may discourage some players so maybe we can replace them with some non-bloodline traits/talents like Sensor Type, Chakra Absorption and Sage Mode. It makes sense to have a system where ninjas can learn these talents.

I also like all the attributes you mentioned. They have some really high potential to make the whole game more strategic (e.g. a tactic that uses a weak ninja with a strong on-death ability to cripple the enemy) which means more fun.
anson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #38
XeroMaano
Vampire

A manager type of game (or actually, any type of game for the matter) needs variety. I don't like it when people are "forced" to use a specific lineup because of some combo or bloodline or anything like that. Because then, you'd see everyone with the same team and it'd be pointless.

I'm not saying no to combos/bloodlines or whatever the case is. The combos should bring minimal bonuses that would rise otherwise useless ninjas to a decent state for example.

Not sure if I've made myself clear enough.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #39
drag0nf0rce
Force Leader

*cough*Ecchimanager*cough*

Jokes aside i think there were one or two cool ideas in there as well

edit
actually, nope all the ideas were the same..... dammit xD

Last edited by drag0nf0rce; 12-24-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #40
udon
Catpain
Admin

Xero: Bloodlines would be available to all, only that some ninjas might have an easier time getting them to make those ninjas somewhat unique = more options/variety. I haven't tested it yet so I don't know if it's good or bad, but it sounds decent. I think the current combo usage is good = it's mainly used early game or very specific cases (item hunting). Also, with more restriction regarding cross-village ninjas, it'll make combos more unique and a fun way to maximize your team early on.

anson: I think there's a specific exoticness/want-to-have about "bloodlines", and you kind of instantly know that its a strong buff. If we make it too wide I feel it might get confusing and you dont instantly know what you have to choose from really, since it's kind of a "anything goes" buff to your ninja. Filler bloodlines could of course be removed, or keep some interesting one, we'll have to see what's needed :)