NinjaManager Forums

Old 11-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
wyldmage

Default Suggestion Forum Guidelines: Readers Get Cake

A guide to the suggestion and ideas forum:
Or: how to get the most people to like your idea.

So, you've got an idea for NinjaManager (or really any game for that matter, though you might want to post those to their forums)? Assuming you like your idea (and I sure hope you do), you want other people to like it too. So here are some tricks for improving the odds.

Forming a new idea
Or: thinking it through thoroughly
In general, follow a few guidelines before posting ideas or suggestions to improve their overall quality:
1) Write down your ideas on paper and wait at least a day to "mull it over".
2) Make sure you understand the game mechanics affected (read forums or ask in chat if needed)
3) Ask about your ideas on the chat section (seen on the battle arena page) for initial feedback, then fix the biggest issues before posting
Gathering information
Or: making sure your idea wasn't suggested yesterday
Now, the next step is to make sure your idea hasn't been suggested before (or dozens of times before). Here's a quick and easy set of instructions that should help.
1) Search this forum for a simple keyword in your idea. Such as "sasuke" if you want to suggest adding a new version of him to the game. You don't have to go read every single post that mentions the bugger, but do read the thread titles your search returns. Continuing with that example, I get 49 separate threads. Of those in the past 3 weeks, 2 deal with new ninjas, and both suggest a new Sasuke. Now, your version may still be different from any that you find on a quick search, but you should *definitely* read those similar ideas 100% and see some of the reactions. In the case of Sasuke, you would find feedback saying that "there are too many versions already". Of course, you're still welcome to post, but your idea is likely to be shot down quickly.

2) If you don't see any recent threads with a similar concept, ask yourself whether it fits any of the following categories: new character/version, new combos, or the Naruto team. If it does, it's probably a common type of suggestion, and you should ask in chat first, and/or review the last few weeks of threads to see what's been brought up.

3) You're either in the clear, or have a slightly overlapping idea. If the latter, it is usually good forum etiquette to post in the existing thread. Start with constructive criticism relative to the original poster's (OP's) idea, and then propose some of your own input relative to what you had been thinking. If the idea is completely fresh (at least in the recent past), then by all means, get ready to post! Either way, continue to the next section...
Make your post professional
Or: not scaring people away with a Wall Of Text (tm).
1) The first thing to remember is that for people to like your idea, they have to understand it. That means explaining it properly. Don't just say "we should have 2 games on one account", when you can say "Instead of allowing players to have 2 accounts (but only 1 forum account), each account should be capable of owning two teams of ninjas with seperate gameplay progression. This way there are fewer accounts, and the clan system being linked to forum accounts won't get weird with alt accounts.".

2) Next, make sure your post *looks* pleasant. Take a look at this one. It is broken up into smaller pieces, with bold, italics, and other nifty forum formatting features used. The result is that it is much simpler to read. The tricks to "readability" are avoiding walls of text, using said formatting on large posts, and proper punctuation. For simplicity's sake, a wall of text is anything that is over 100 words. Sure you can exceed that sometimes, but in general it is better to break it up into two seperate paragraphs. Using formatting can be as simple as a bit of bold text or headers in ALL CAPS scattered throughout, or as complicated as different sizes, bulleted lists, images, or font colors (see the Legendary Weapons Guide for an acute example of a thread that is incredibly easy to read because of good formatting. Finally, punctuation! Periods, paragraphs, spaces. Use them.

3) Use a spelling and/or grammar checker. If you don't have one, google it. There are tons of free ones online.
The post
Or: waiting for the criticism
What almost everyone does after posting a great new idea they had is to sit around hitting refresh, waiting for that first post containing the wisdom of Everyone Else.

Don't do it. Hit that "Submit New Thread" button (or "Post Reply" if adding to an existing thread), and take a breather. Fight some arena matches, flip on TV, or just make a sandwich. Wait at least 30-60 minutes before checking up on your baby. If you followed the rest of this guide, you shouldn't have made any glaring mistakes that are getting pointed out. And particularly on a smaller forum like this, replies can take half a day or more before they appear. Relax. Wait as long as you can before checking for feedback (I try to give it at least 2 hours unless I'm posting in a highly active thread that already exists). Hopefully by the time you check back there will be multiple replies, some positive, others negative. Three rules for this section:

1) Don't get mad. No matter what your idea is, someone will hate it. Take his opinion to heart, but don't let him (or her) stand in the way of what you think should happen.

2) Separate the opinions from the facts. Some of the good/bad posts will be based on "I like this", while others will focus on how your idea behaves on a mechanics level. Such as the impact it would have on the game. Using my earlier example of merging 2 teams onto 1 account, Udon let the community know that it would require far too much work to be considered at this time (probably ever). Didn't mean the idea didn't make sense, just that it had zero chance of happening because of the requirements needed to make it happen.

3) Read ALL the replies before making your next post.
The followup
Or: telling people what you think about what they think
Finally! You posted your idea, and read through the replies. Most likely someone misunderstood, or worse, didn't bother reading your entire idea before jumping to conclusions. And now you need to clarify things to them (ideally without stab wounds).

Several of the guidelines before come back into play here. The big two are being professional, and punctuation and grammar. Keep things civil, and remember that if you think someone's reply was immature or childish, chances are that the other people reading your thread will notice it too. You don't have to demean yourself (and your idea) with petty bickering.

But the biggest rule (and the reason for the third rule in the prior section) is don't spam the thread with replies. This forum doesn't have a convenient multi-quote option, so if you want to include quotes from each person it takes some extra effort. Whatever you do though, reply to ALL previous posts with just one of your own. This probably means being nice with formatting again (key word - Paragraphs!), as well as using forum names to address different people if need be.
The cake was a lie
Or: haven't you played Portal yet?

Last edited by wyldmage; 11-21-2009 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Cake
wyldmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
wyldmage

Default A quick reference to common suggestions, and their responses

Reserved for adding this information when I'm less tired of typing.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Ahlvin
2nd Most Posts!

Hm.. As I was reading trough this guide, I started laughing, oh so much.. ^^'

Anyhow, as for "feedback"... It´s nice, greatly written (As it always is when coming from wyld), without grammor issues. It gives the "newbies" a good, insightfull "lesson" in what they should think of. The think it trough and ask on the chat is something I believe a few peoples are not paying attention to, leading to annoying posts, where they are convinced that their idéa is bad after just a few posts, making the topic just a waste of space..

All in all, a nicely written guide, hope it´s made sticky! If it is, it should be a "read this before posting"-thing, simular to the one that exists in the teams&strategies forum, except that this is much bigger :p
Old 11-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Minaro
Semi-retired

Meh, didn't have the time to read it all thoroughly, but from what I skimmed through, it looks good. Stickied. As Ahlvin said, you might also want to change the topic title into something that draws in more attention to new posters. I could also lock the thread or something like the sorts, if you'd want me to.

Weinmers Landing, currently Impossible
Minaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
wyldmage

Don't lock it, at least yet. I'm at a loss for better titles - anyone got a suggestion that would "draw them in"?
Old 11-20-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
Ahlvin
2nd Most Posts!

Just add a "Read before posting" =p Alltought, that didn't seem to draw attention in teams&strategies..
Old 11-21-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
Seotinach
Green Monster of DOOM~

"Suggestion Guidelines: Readers Get Ice Cream."

Telling people to read it first won't get you anywhere. xD It didn't work for the rules, or anything else, after all.

Seotinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:16 AM   #8
Vovinia
Extensive Planner

i agree with seo's suggestion... most of the readers' who take the time to actually read the "read this first" guides don't really need them >.>
Vovinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:46 AM   #9
Sparhawk
Knight

@Seotinach:

Good point... I think "Ninjamanager Rules" should be renamed, "READ OR DIE!" =P
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #10
wyldmage

Removed the disclaimer, updated the title, touched up a few minor spots I noticed. Thanks for the idea Seo - didn't use it word for word though ;)
Old 11-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #11
Flamehero

I read the whole of the guide. Nicely explained especially abt The Wall of Text(tm). This should decrease the suggestions saying "OMG!!!! I WANT THIS!!!!! MEH!!!! MEH!!!!!" with ppl replying negative posts by "YOU STOOPID. I KNOW HOW WORKING" and the overall unreadability.

Also, I think that you can add that a line of humor dosen't hurt.... as long as it is not used say more than twice and used properly so a CAUTION:(tm) notice should acompany it. The thread tittle does sound a bit rule-ey but maybe its just me. All in all, its a very good and very useful guide.
Thanks wyld.

P.S. Spar, LAWL!!!!
Flamehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #12
Seotinach
Green Monster of DOOM~

xD Yay for cake and game references! I approve.

Also, on the matter of the guide itself, I like it. I also notice you removed most of your references that might suggestion who caused you to write this guide in the first place, which was probably a good move. =P Makes the guide feel a lot more professional-ish.

Seotinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #13
Ahlvin
2nd Most Posts!

Lols, Spar XD We can't do that, Konan would send Pain after us D= *tremble*
Old 11-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #14
wyldmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seotinach View Post
xD Yay for cake and game references! I approve.

Also, on the matter of the guide itself, I like it. I also notice you removed most of your references that might suggestion who caused you to write this guide in the first place, which was probably a good move. =P Makes the guide feel a lot more professional-ish.
Who got me to write it was part of the disclaimer, kinda to let everyone who spotted it initially know how it came about. As far as who it is, I've even posted in one of his threads saying I was similar in terms of "I've got ideas" when I started. It's not a bad thing that he got me thinking :) Quite the opposite.

And in terms of the title, I can't change the title that appears in the thread list apparently. Perhaps Minaro can if he's feeling like making it match my updated cake-referencing title?
*puts a cupcake on the altar and prays to the forum mods*
Old 11-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #15
Baruch Spinoza

A Few Things

1. If you promise cake, you should deliver cake!

2. Maybe you should also explain how to use the Spoiler tag
Spoiler:
so when people go and ask for a Kage version of Kisame with his tranformation with samehada (which I just know is coming) they won't spoil it for everyone

3. For that matter, perhaps a link to the BBcode section of the FAQ would be useful in getting people to actually use the formatting options available http://www.ninjamanager.net/misc.php?do=bbcode
Baruch Spinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #16
Minaro
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldmage View Post
Who got me to write it was part of the disclaimer, kinda to let everyone who spotted it initially know how it came about. As far as who it is, I've even posted in one of his threads saying I was similar in terms of "I've got ideas" when I started. It's not a bad thing that he got me thinking :) Quite the opposite.

And in terms of the title, I can't change the title that appears in the thread list apparently. Perhaps Minaro can if he's feeling like making it match my updated cake-referencing title?
*puts a cupcake on the altar and prays to the forum mods*
*BOOMING SOUND*
(Almighty godly voice) "Your wish has been granted."
*Dragonballs scatter in all directions*

Weinmers Landing, currently Impossible
Minaro is offline   Reply With Quote